Have never attempted to repot any of my Phalaenopsis before - thus they would typically play out after a few years. But after seeing this video on how easy the process was, I decided to give it a go.
This specimen only produced a small spray of four blooms this year, so I figured it was a likely candidate for repotting. The leaves appeared pretty healthy and there were several aerial roots.
After removing the potting mixture, I discovered most of the lower roots were in pretty bad shape - hollow, collapsed or decaying.
So snipped off almost everything except the aerial roots. Later I even removed the two lower leaves that had started showing some wrinkling.
Placed it back into its original pot, pushed the aerial roots back inside and packed it all in with some pre-soaked Phalaenopsis potting medium.
Time will tell if the repotting proves successful.