Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Viburnum Munched

Yesterday, I discovered that my Reifler's Dwarf Viburnum (Viburnum obovatum 'Reifler Dwarf') seemed to be losing its leaves.  Couldn't quite determine if they had been munched or were falling off.  It had been doing quite well and I was looking forward to its fall color and hopefully next years blooms.  So I was a wee bit perturbed.

Then, this evening, I checked it again and discovered the culprit:


Or should I say culprits!


I didn't even know that hornworms ate Viburnums.  But even though I don't know the variety of these guys, they obviously have a taste for for the plant.  Grumble, grumble.


Needless to say, they have now departed the garden.

Planted in the Ground:
  • Mexican Petunias (Ruellia tweediana 'Colobe Pink'): Added three more to the pond area as they tend to be evergreen in a typical winter
  • Gulf Coast Penstemon (Penstemon tenuis): Added three more to the existing small patch to help thicken up the area; hoping this will make for an even better spring showing
  • Ghost Plant (Graptopetalum paraguayense): Two more added - one in a dry area near the path and another in the recently created succulent bed (not pictured).
  •  Lady Tulips 'Cynthia' (Tulipa clusiana 'Cynthia'): Ten more placed into the bed near the pond (not pictured)

Planted in Pots:
  • Foxtail Fern (Asparagus densiflorus 'Meyersii'): Have one in the ground; decided to try one in a pot.  Not entirely sure if it is winter hardy, but plan on leaving it out (so I guess I'll learn!)

2 comments:

  1. Foxtail fern is generally hardy in my garden, although I did lose a couple in last year's hard freeze. The established ones survived though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam: That's good news (the hardiness, that is, not your lost ones); really like the looks of the one I potted - so here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete