Friday, May 28, 2010

Who Dat?

Who dat hiding down there in my seedling dill plants?  So it is true: plant dill and the swallowtails will come.  Though my little dill sprouts are only a few inches tall, they already have a three-quarter inch swallowtail caterpillar.  Ain't that cool!


And who dat looking at me?  Green Anoles (obviously not always green ) are not uncommon here in the shade, but its still fun to spot one doing its thing.


And who dat spouting up from nowhere?  Yeah, I was actually crazy enough to try and grow Star Begonia (Begonia heracleifolia) in the ground.  They've never amounted to much (likely too shady), and I figured this winter's 18 degree low finished them off.  But looks like someone is trying to stage a comeback.


And who dat showing off after some recent showers?  Really enjoy Pink Rain Lilies (Zephyranthes rosea).  I have a few different types scattered here and there, but this variety is my favorite.  Only two blossoms this time, but given a few more months, I wouldn't be surprised to see lots more flowers after a late summer shower.


And who dat peaking out of that nest?  No picture so you'll have to take my word for it, but recently spotted two little half-inch long bills sticking out from the hummingbird nest.  Viewed from the other side was a single small tail poking over the edge.  Using binoculars, I could see a couple of heads barely raised above the rim, staring back at me.  So they seem to be doing fine; suspect their days of nest-bound life are likely drawing to a close.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I hope you'll be able to catch a picture before they fly away. I love the Who Dat? theme -- what fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a sight, to see them on the nest. We had a nest but only found it after the summer was over. Hope we get to see your babies too.

    ReplyDelete