Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hummingbird Nest

Finally decided to try and get a peek into the hummingbird nest.  The nest is directly above the driveway and isn't that high, but I ended up needing to place a ladder into the bed of my truck to get enough height.  Then it required attempting various yoga positions to maneuver my head and shoulders through the twigs and limbs.  But I was finally able to get a peek into the nest.


Thought I'd be seeing some eggs, but instead discovered two fluffy nestlings inside.  The baby birds didn't look like much - more look two fuzzy patches in the bottom of the tiny nest that twitched occasionally.  They can barely be seen in the picture: the small bits of hair-like feathers barely visible in the center of the nest edge is them.

As I've only seen the female, I haven't been able to determine whether its a Black-chinned Hummingbird or a Ruby-throated Hummingbird (both are known to nest in central Texas).

So far this year, I've discovered nests in my yard for Carolina Chickadee (bird house), Tufted Titmouse (attic ventilation slats), White-winged Dove (Boxwood) and hummingbird (Oak).  It's been a good year for the birds.

1 comment:

  1. That's very cool. A lot of the other gardeners are calling it the year of the butterfly based on all the butterfly caterpillars around this year.

    ReplyDelete