Sunday, March 28, 2010

Planting Plants

The day was warm, the sun was shining & my small patch of Tulips (Tulipa clusiana) continued to catch my eye.  And I finally worked up the courage to check the birdhouse which seemed to have the Chickadee's interest and discovered five eggs inside. 

Thus started another day of putting plants into the ground.  I planted three variegated Abutilons in various locales around the yard. I'm not sure of the specific variety as they were not marked at the nursery, but I'm suspecting Abutilon pictum 'Thompsonii'.  If anyone can accurately identify, please let me know.


And this is the year I throw caution to the wind with plants labeled as invasive. I'm thinking my plant choices might need a little "invasiveness" in their lives - I'd like to see more green and less soil & leaf litter. So with that thought in mind, I planted the following:

Five Fuzzy Wuzzy Lamb's Ears (Stachys byzantina ‘Fuzzy Wuzzy’) spread along the back garden path,

Three White Oxalis (Oxalis crassipes 'Alba') amongst the 'Burgundy Glow' Ajuga,

And three Pink Oxalis (Oxalis crassipes 'Rosea') around the base of the Mountain Sage (Salvia regla).

I also put in a second Coralberry (Symphoricarpos orbiculatus) - yet another adventure in rock removal.  Ended up with 3 dense, heavy chunks of limestone, each slightly larger than a shoebox, along with several smaller pieces.  Of all the rock in my landscape used as stepping stones, waterfall ledges, borders or simply points of interest, 95% of it actually came from the yard itself.

Tired but content, I got to finish the day's work sipping iced water and enjoying the blooms of the Orange Kaffir Lily (Clivia miniata) that have slowly begun opening.  Looking forward to what the season brings...

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a satisfying day's work. Lots of good plants, and rocks rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the leaves on the variegated abutilon. 'Twas a great day for gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on adding some "invasive" plants! I'm doing the same thing this year; after two years of drought, my perennials are leaving too many bare spots. Can't wait to see how yours do. I love the lambs ears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your clivia. I have two but they won't bloom for me. Wonder what am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lily: Don't really give mine much special care. They are planted in a pot & get moved inside during the cold winter. But otherwise they receive no fertilizer, and get a couple hours direct sun with dappled light the rest of the day. I think they'd do even better with more light. I think mine would like a little more acid in its soil (if the light chlorosis is any indication).

    ReplyDelete