Friday, March 26, 2010

Aloe 'Fire Ranch', Lady Tulips & Labrador Violet

Finally got around to putting my new Aloe 'Fire Ranch' into a pot. The friendly people at Green N' Growing Nursery said that some of theirs actually survived outside unprotected in this winter's teen low temperatures (though with significant damage). Not sure that I'm willing to take that chance (thus the pot).

This was my first year to attempt the Lady Tulips (Tulipa clusiana).  I placed 7 bulbs in one of my small sunlit patches.  Since they sprouted from the ground a little over a month ago, I have been enjoying its blue-green vegetation.  A while back, the unopened blossoms began rising from the center.  And, as of yesterday, some of the blooms have finally opened, with a few more on the way.  The blooms close overnight, then open wide the next day to follow the sun.

And yet another of my small Violets, this time the Labrador Violet (Viola labradorica), has produced a tiny blossom.  Don't know if these Violets will ever be showy (considering their flower is the size of a dime), but I do like finding the tiny treasures when I'm walking about.

1 comment:

  1. I hope this does not go double. My message just got wiped out.
    The aloe caught my attention. I am am aloe-nut and like the most I know we always want that aloe that does not fit our climate.
    I do not know how cold it gets in your part of the world but it helps to overwinter an aloe if the aloe is dried out. Do not water for at least 3 months - possible. The water freeze in the leaves and it goes mushi and rot. Aloes seldom die of drought, very quick water related.

    I admired your plants and photos of beautiful flowers. Those I can forget over here in the western cape, South Africa.

    ReplyDelete