Thursday, March 11, 2010

Autumn Fern, Soap Aloe, Orange Kaffir Lily

In my front yard, I expanded the existing row of Autumn Ferns (Dryopteris erythrosora) by adding five more.  These ferns are amongst my favorites: they are evergreen (easily surviving this winter's 18 degree lows), handle filtered light (a must for my yard), withstand the Texas heat (multiple 100+ degree days), don't require high moisture (different than a lot of ferns) and its new growth initially has an eye-catching burgundy coloration.  Hard to beat that combo.

So far, likely due to all my shade, I have lacked any blooms from plants that actually spent the winter outside in the ground.  Striving to be my first bloomer of the year, the flower stalk on one of the front yard Soap Aloes (Aloe maculata) continues to stretch skyward.
Also racing to the bloom (though doing so from a potted advantage that got to spend the winter inside the garage) is my Orange Kaffir Lily (Clivia miniata).  I'm looking forward to seeing some color.

1 comment:

  1. Your Kaffir Lily is beautiful! But then, I love lillies of any kind!

    ReplyDelete