Monday, February 22, 2010

Texas Bear Grass, Ribbon Grass

Planted Texas Bear Grass (Nolina texana) & Ribbon Grass (Phalaris arundinacea) into separate pots. Used the Bear Grass because it was a terracotta pot that I wanted to always remain outside (hate lugging about the larger heavy pots), so I wanted a plant that could stay out through winter low temperatures. Put the Ribbon Grass into a pot because I've read that it is quite invasive.

I typically use pots for plants that need more water (plastic pots), more sunlight (my deck has areas that get part sun,) can't take low temperatures (mostly succulents) or tend to be invasive (trap the little buggers).

Covered up many of my newly planted plants & aloes with sheets/blankets because of the threat of freezing precipitation - with lows only going to be right at freezing, I might not have covered much of anything if not for the chance of snow (don't think my aloes want a layer of snow or ice - even if short-lived).

Yesterday saw a pair of chickadees going in and out of my Birds Unlimited birdhouse. Never saw them carrying nesting materials or food (seems way too early for young - but what do I know). Could have popped open the roof to check - but still a little scared to do that (always thought birds would abandon a nest if bothered; and someone ripping off my roof and sticking their giant nose into my house would bother me!)

Spotted a sprout of Toad Lily (Tricyrtis lasiocarpa) popping up from where I had originally planted (had dug up and transplanted, but guess I left some behind). Will have to see how that turns out...

Both the Soap Aloe (Aloe maculata) in the front yard bed and the potted Orange Kaffir Lily (Clivia miniata) appear to be preparing flower stalks. Seems a little early but I like their enthusiasm!

No comments:

Post a Comment