Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Here Comes The Snow


The weatherman convinced me to cover most of my new transplants - just hope it was enough protection. In Austin, it is always a balancing act between getting the plants out too early (zapped by a sudden cold snap) or too late (zapped by summer heat with insufficient root development). Here in northwest Austin, we received 1-2 inches of snow.


I've been babying my sagos all winter: covering them with sheets and even carefully placing a spotlight under the cover to provide a small measure of heat when temperatures dipped into the mid-20s or lower. Has worked beautifully - not a speck of damage. But not enough cover for all the plants - and with predicted temperatures reaching just a degree or two below freezing - I decided to gamble. Will have to see how that bet turns out.








The Nandina berries put on a bright show with their light frosting of snow.











This is my first year trying Dyckias - I've planted three different flavors. The Bronze Dyckia (Dyckia fosteriana 'Bronze') was left to fend for itself. Hoping it is as tough as its thorns.









My Manfreda 'Macho Mocha' (Manfreda x Mangave 'Macho Mocha') has performed well over the past few years - actually going from one plant to four. It has weathered everything nature has thrown at it in that time - but this is likely the first significant snow. Hope it continues to thrive.


No comments:

Post a Comment