Sunday, February 28, 2010

Planting Plants

Spent most of the morning plant shopping, then returned home to digging holes, breaking up & removing rocks, adding sand & peat moss, and sticking plants into the ground.  Planted the following: three Marilyn's Choice Abutilon (two 4" plus a one gallon), two 4" Mexican Honeysuckle (Justicia spicigera), a Salvia splendens 'Van Houttei', three 4" Heartleaf Skullcap (Scutellaria ovata) and a Black Knight Butterfly Bush (Buddleia davidii 'Black Knight').  Kept finding myself sitting on the deck, listening to the birdsong, my eyes closed as I soaked in the sunshine.

With the filtered light coming through the trees, its always a gamble trying to get anything to actually produce flowers.  I sometimes get fooled at this time of the year into thinking I have more sunshine than I really do because the Red Oaks & Black Cherry Tree presently lack leaves.  I see all that sunshine making it to the ground and think I have found an ideal spot for a plant ("Look at all that glorious sunshine!  This plant will be covered in blooms.") - only to have the plant produce foliage but not flowers.  I have started trying to make sure that I like the plant's leaves and structure; then if I happen to get a few blooms, I feel like I got a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment