Sunday, March 17, 2013

Still Planting

I'm still putting plants in the ground.

I recently planted over a dozen small Texas Gold Columbine (Aquilegia chrysantha var. hinckleyana) under the Buford Hollies that are behind my twin waterfalls.  I actually plan on placing at least another dozen, but have not been able to locate any more in two-inch pots (can't afford that many one gallon containers!).


And after considerable bed preparation (i.e. dug out heavy soil down to limestone layer, mixed two parts compost to one part original soil, then returned to hole and also mounded it up at least twelve inches), I was finally able to plant three Turk's Cap 'Big Momma' (Malvaviscus drummondii x arboreus 'Big Momma') that were originally planned for the area that has developed into my quarry.  Hopefully they'll make a colorful backdrop to this portion of the garden.

 

3 comments:

  1. I, hopefully, will be going to the garden centers this next week. I'll keep my eyes peeled for columbines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know what you discover (I pretty much cleaned out The Natural Gardener's supply).

      Delete
  2. Oh, I bet the columbines will be lovely en masse!

    ReplyDelete