So there will be damage. Prior to last night's freeze, I had already covered the plants (even purchasing a 10x20 foot cold cover to add to my collection of sheets, blankets & towels). Obviously, I don't have enough to cover everything, so choices had to be made.
Covered plants include:
- Sago Palms (even place spotlight under the cover with them for some extra warmth)
- recently potted Anthony Waterer Spirea (Spiraea x bumalda 'Anthony Waterer')
- potted Foxtail Fern (Asparagus densiflorus 'Meyersii')
- Soap Aloes (Aloe maculata)
- Aloe 'Hedgehog' (Aloe humilis 'Hedgehog')
- all Dyckias
- some Amaryllis 'San Antonio Rose' (Hippeastrum 'San Antonio Rose')
- Bella Red Abutilon (Abutilon x hybridum 'Bella Red'),
- recently planted Pittosporum Creme De Mint (Pittosporum tobira 'Shima')
- recently planted Sparkler Sedge (Carex phyllocephala 'Sparkler')
- recently planted Wood Betony (Stachys officinalis)
- some Friendship Plants (Billbergia nutans)
But several plants are already showing signs of damage.
Gold Dust Plant (Aucuba japonica 'Variegata')
Bear's Breech (Acanthus 'Summer Beauty')
Formosa Red Azalea (Azalea indica 'Formosa Red')
Joe Pye Shrub
There are many others (but I was too wimpy to stay out in the cold taking snapshots!). Even the Cast Iron Plants (Aspidistra elatior) have an unusual darkness to their green color. Only time will tell which plants survive.
Planted in Pots:
- Anthony Waterer Spirea (Spiraea x bumalda 'Anthony Waterer'): put it in large pot about a week ago - hope it makes it through this cold.