Monday, May 31, 2010

Planting Plants: 5/23-5/29

Over the last week, the spiders have been busy weaving their webs (more power to them - may their nets capture all the yard's mosquitoes).  I, too, found time to get a few plants into the ground or into pots.

 

Blue Anise Sage (Salvia guaranitica)  failed me once before, but several recent garden blogs had me itching to try again.  Then I received two plants at the recent Design A Go Go plant swap.  Thanks to Pam from Digging and an unknown contributor (appreciation to both of y'all), I'm getting to try them again.



Pam also remembered me admiring the Blue Elf Aloe posted on her site, and she thoughtfully provided me with one to grow.  It may look a little lonely in its present pot, but I have faith it will eventually fill it in (or perhaps I may have to provide company).



At a recent school plant sale, I got three White Crinum Lilies (planted about the yard), plus some herbs: a couple of Variegated Oregano and a Lemon Thyme.  Using the canopy opening created by the fallen tree, I got the herbs into a pot and placed it in the sunshine.


Another of my Perilla 'Magilla' cuttings went into the front yard, behind the Autumn Ferns (Dryopteris erythrosora) and in front of the Nandina (Nandina domestica).  Should provide some color as it grows.

Decided it was time to put my White Queen Caladium bulbs into the ground.  Seven went into the empty space created by the removal of the fading Lamb's Ear (Stachys byzantina) - think the soil mixture didn't drain adequately, coupled with not enough sunshine - and seven others went into the hole left by the winter loss of my Bulbine (Bulbine frutescens).  I like using Caladiums to fill in the the voids created by dearly departed plants.



I'm attempting to root some cuttings from trimmings of Cedar Sage (Salvia roemeriana) & Jerusalem Sage (Phlomis fruticosa).  Both had gotten a little leggy.

And five flavors of Zinnia went into a narrow strip in the sunny spot (near the potted dill, tomato & herbs).  Hoping for some cut flowers (however, even though this is my "sunny" spot, not sure if it will be sufficient for Zinnias - but they are worth a roll of the dice).

Emptied my pots of Ribbon Grass (Phalaris arundinacea) and Spanish Bluebells (Hyacinthoides hispanica).  I could not seem to keep the first wet enough, and the latter dry enough (though I can see why the Bluebells may be considered invasive; even struggling, its bulbs had tripled in number!).

1 comment:

  1. I hope the salvia and aloe work out for you. They've grown very reliably for me, but it's all about local conditions, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete