Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Aloe Acquisitions

Over the last month, there has been a few additions to my Aloe collection.  At the last Oracle Gorge Nursery sale, spotted a couple of nice-looking new varieties that I was able to bring home.  Haven't had time to get any of them into new pots.

Really liked the pale coloration of the Aloe pictifolia - it almost appears to have a been lightly coated with a thin whitewash.

On the other end of the color scale is the bright green Aloe juncunda.  This variety tends to remain small and grow into a mounding cluster. 

Another couple of "additions" weren't new Aloes - but were instead new Aloe blooms.  For the Lace Aloe (Aloe aristata) , this is the first time it has bloomed in my garden.  The stalk has a definite curl to it which straightened somewhat after a watering.

Most of my Soap Aloes (Aloe maculata) are actually planted in the ground, but one specimen is actually contained within a pot - and is blooming for the first time (all of my in-ground ones are growing and recovering for our past severe winter).

In our ongoing drought and heat (so far every day in August - except one - with a high temperature over 100 degrees), Aloes are certainly a plant variety that does well.

7 comments:

  1. Nice pics of some gorgeous specimens. I have also been adding to my aloe collection and will post some pics soon so we can compare. My lace aloe was so sensitive to humidity that it rotted even in a clay pot...so be careful and keep it in dry air (no problem for Austin, right?).
    Sadly, I lost my Aloe jucunda during a freeze. It's a nice aloe and easy to grow.
    That Aloe pictiflolia is a new one for me and a nice find. BTW: Our string of 23 one hundred degree days have had no bad effects on my aloes...even the little ones that look so fragile. I had no idea they were this tough.
    Freeze is a very different matter....I'll bring most in and not risk having Aloe mush-a-folia.
    Nice post.
    David/ Tropical Texana/ Houston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them all. But, especially the juncunda. It looks like a happy little plant.
    Stay cool...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how neat! I didn't realize there were that many different types of Aloe. I am only familiar with one type! Thanks for sharing the different types! Happy Gardening! Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. David: Yeah - Lace Aloe not likely to get too much of that wet stuff here in Austin! The bloom stalk did straighten up pretty nicely after a watering - guess that shows that it drying out pretty good (or bad).

    Linda: The A. juncunda looks pretty perky - really hope it eventually mounds up into a bright green pile - that would be something.

    Ebullient: That's what originally attracted me to the Aloes - such an incredible variety in color, shape & size - it was all surprise to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful aloes! You weren't kidding that you like them!! Gorgeous orchids as well. The Aloe juncunda is one of my favorites- it makes the neatest little mound and is so pretty when they bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone told me that only the plain, pale aloe heals, but the darker, spotted kind with more barbed edges does not. Is this true or false? I'd like to know since I have both types and want to use the juice for skin since I'm in Arizona. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that not all aloes having healing properties and that, in fact, some can cause serious skin irritations. The only one I'm sure is safe is plain old Aloe vera. I tend to avoid all others simply because I wouldn't be confident in identifying the irritant ones.

      Delete