Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Recently...

Have been somewhat amiss on keeping up with the small happenings in the garden.  So I decided to group some of the events that have occurred over the last ten days into this single posting.

About a week ago, another variety of mushrooms made a surprise appearance.  I especially liked the ribbed view from above.  As with almost all of these fungi, they disappeared back into the soil within a couple of days.



The Chickadee brood has been keeping the parents busy.  While working in the garden, I have gotten to watch the parents flying in & out, making sure the youngsters stay well fed.  But all appeared quiet today, and upon checking, it looks as if the nestlings have departed.


Me & the missus are delving into new territory by creating a small herb garden (parsley, basil, oregano & thyme).  Not sure if we have sufficient light, but I can at least move the plants around on the deck in an attempt to locate an optimum spot.


Recent rains seems to have brought out the critters - both beneficial and no so beneficial.



The Sweet Kate Spiderwort (Tradescantia x andersoniana 'Sweet Kate') has been sending its lime green shoots ever higher.  The bright coloration lasts until the summer heat sets, then slowly darkens.  No blooms yet.


But a couple of other plants are producing their first blooms of the year for my shady garden.

Jerusalem Sage

Lenten Rose

I also finally got around to potting the Golden Tooth Aloe (Aloe perfoliata) that I got at the recent Cactus & Succulent Show.  Included in the pot is a low growing Sedum (variety unknown).



Then I decided to get experimental and created the first hanging basket of my garden using the Ghost Plant (Graptopetalum paraguayense).  I was inspired to try this by a couple of  postings: Tough Decisions on Rock Rose and Hanging Succulent Gardens on Danger Garden (be sure to check them out!).  Looks a little empty now, but I have faith (for now).


Been a busy time.  It's good to get caught up with the recent happenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment